ELCA Advocacy Statement
As members of the ELCA, we believe that we are freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. God uses our hands, through our direct service work and our voices, through our advocacy efforts, to restore and reconcile our world.
ELCA advocacy works for change in public policy based on the experience of Lutheran ministries, programs and projects around the world and in communities across the United States. We work through political channels on behalf of the following biblical values: peacemaking, hospitality to strangers, care for creation, and concern for people living in poverty and struggling with hunger and disease.
Zumbro Advocacy Team Mission Statement
Honoring our baptismal call and following the guide of the ELCA Advocacy Statement, our vision is to:
1) empower ourselves and our Zumbro community members through education
2) engage in actions that build bridges and relationships, actively dismantle systems that are exploitative and oppressive, and purposefully serve those who are in need.
We, as an advocacy team, recognize that advocacy and social justice action is lifelong work that is ongoing and substantial. The Zumbro Advocacy Team will work to prioritize efforts based on current resources within the team and church community on a quarterly basis. Advocacy efforts may include any of the following actions:
- Inform and provide education within our Zumbro Lutheran community about the advocacy goals of the ELCA (as listed under the ELCA Advocacy Statement above).
- Raise awareness of inequities in our community and seek to build bridges for individuals to access resources and opportunities.
- Prioritize ways to support community members who are in need, reach out with compassion, and act with our neighbors to address these needs.
- Continue anti-racist conversations and the pursuit of racial justice in order to not be complicit through silence.
- Encourage support for ministries and activities of our congregation that promote participation and fairness for all.
- Equip Zumbro members and friends with tools to be effective advocates, including resources for civic engagement such as voting, petitioning, demonstrating, and/or communicating with elected officials.
We have begun as an exploratory team in 2020, focusing much of our work on improving our cultural awareness, investigating our biases and learning how to be effective advocates and allies. We are working on developing our Advocacy goals. In the meantime, we encourage anyone interested in this work, to investigate ELCA resources.
Rochester Diversity Council: Home | Diversity Council
Rochester for Justice (1) Rochester For Justice | Facebook
Rochester MN Climate Coalition: (1) Rochester Climate Coalition | Facebook
Hospitality to the Stranger:
Information on Elected Officials:
City of Rochester Rochester, MN | Home [find your city council representatives here]
Rochester Public Schools :School Board – Rochester Public Schools – Rochester, MN (rochesterschools.org)
Find your Representatives:
Questions? Interested in being on an Action Team here at Zumbro and receive invites for local opportunities? Contact Sarah Lichty, Director of Mission